S/M Ben has asked me to post this for information…..
From Avon and Somerset Police,
Another Covid-19 Scam
A phone call has very recently been received by one of our members who has reported this to their local coordinator.
The caller stated they were from the NHS test and trace service and according to their system the member had come into close contact with someone who had tested positive for Covid-19, therefore they needed to self-isolate for 7 days and take a Covid-19 test. (First mistake Isolation is 14 Days)
The member queried who this person was and advised this was confidential, but must take the test in 72 hours. The caller asked for the members address and this was provided and was then asked for a payment card and a one off fee of £500 (Second mistake, they will not ask for payment) as there are penalties for not complying.
Fortunately the member spotted this scam and hung up the phone.
It is important to note:
Contact tracers will never:
• ask you to dial a premium rate number to speak to us (for example, those starting 09 or 087)
• ask you to make any form of payment or purchase a product or any kind
• ask for any details about your bank account
• ask for your social media identities or login details, or those of your contacts
• ask you for any passwords or PINs, or ask you to set up any passwords or PINs over the phone
• disclose any of your personal or medical information to your contacts
• provide medical advice on the treatment of any potential coronavirus symptoms
• ask you to download any software to your PC or ask you to hand over control of your PC, smartphone or tablet to anyone else
• ask you to access any website that does not belong to the government or NHS
Guidance on NHS Test and Trace can be found here: